Friday, April 25, 2008

Go, Browns! (Quilt-style)

Dear Shayne,

As I have mentioned many times before, I am a big Cleveland Browns fan. I have posted Knucks and yars and even a hat to this effect. I now present: The Browns quilt!
Browns quilt: full shot

I actually completed the quilt top a few years ago, but was searching for the "perfect" back. I found that about 6 months ago:
Browns quilt: binding and back

I love that swirly back and the stripe-y binding is so great! I am so pleased with this quilt!

As I may have mentioned before, I enjoy piecing quilts (that is, putting the top together), but I pay someone else to do the actual quilting. This time, the lovely folks at New Pieces in Berkeley did the honor. They do amazing work -- impeccable. Here is a view of it draped over our deck chair:
Browns quilt: draped over chair

The design is called Tesselating Stars (here's a pattern). I learned to make this through a terrific online resource called Quilt University. They have tons of quilting classes that you can take at your own pace, in the comfort of your own home. The teachers are great and the class materials are well worth the price of admission (which is not very high, compared to an "in person" class.)

I love all of the fabrics in this quilt (to answer the question most people ask when they see it: Nope. No duplicates.) but here are some of my favorites:
Browns quilt: detail

Browns quilt: detail

Browns quilt: detail

Browns quilt: detail

So do they put catnip in quilt batting or what? I put this quilt on the couch and went to get a glass of water in the kitchen. I came back to find this:
Browns quilt: approval

I guess I'll take that as a seal of approval.

love,
kelly

5 comments:

Quilter In Paradise said...

Love the quilt - colors are really good!
thanks for sharing
Beth

Ms. Ganshirt said...

Wow. You quilters. I'm in awe!

Shayne said...

What Dawn said. That looks like a crazy amount of work. Good job, you!!

qusic said...

I found your beautiful quilt via Flickr and just visited your blog.well we think the quilt is amazing but it is way more : cat-approved which means snuggly and cozy too.

kelly said...

Thanks so much for dropping by, qusic! Yes -- the best quilts are definitely cat-approved. :)