Saturday, May 03, 2008

Whee! Yarn in the mail!

Dear Shayne,

Last week, I got the best kind of package in the mail -- an unexpected gift! Yay! Plus, it was yarn! Double yay!

Last time I was in Ohio, my parents were telling me about all the alpaca farms in their area. I said, "Hey -- I'd love some local alpaca yarn!" (Mmmm... alpaca.) And lo and behold, here it is:
Classic Alpaca yarn

My stepfather works with this guy, Jim, who also raises alpacas. Pretty cool, eh? So I guess they got to talking about how I'm a yarn junkie and Jim gave him some yarn to send me. Isn't that awesome?! I'm so lucky!

Jim and his wife, Judy, have a farm called Slow and Easy Alpaca Farm (you should check out that site -- cutey pie alpaca photos as well as interesting alpaca facts). They keep some of the fleece to spin and send the rest out to a co-op called America's Alpaca.

The yarn I got is Classic Alpaca. It feels terrific and I am blown away by the color selection -- if you can imagine a color, they make it. The colorway of my yarn is 1633 "Horizon." Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but it's a lovely grey with hints of lavender and blue. It's like a cloud.

I don't know yet what I'll make out of this -- I'm just fondling it for now. But when I do make something, I will, of course, post photos.

Thanks so much to Jim and Judy for this yarn -- I love it!

love,
kelly

PS -- The internet claims that even people with wool allergies can handle alpaca. Perhaps alpaca would work for you?

2 comments:

Shayne said...

Pretty! How exciting to have the inside scoop on a yarn farm.

Shayne said...

I'll have to go to the local yarn shop and inhale some Alpaca and see what happens :)