Monday, June 16, 2008

WiP: Memory quilt (completed top)

Dear Shayne,

I realize this photo does not look that much different from the last time I showed you this quilt-in-progress, but then it was just fabric pieces tacked to my board and now the the fabric is sewn together into an actual quilt top!
WiP: Memory quilt

Unfortunately, I am now paralyzed. I cannot decide what to do for the quilting pattern. I am hoping that looking at this photo will inspire me. I know I want to incorporate hearts into my design. Other than that small nugget of an idea, I don't know where I'm going with it. (If there are any quilters out there reading this, feel free to chime in with design ideas -- I am begging for 'em!)

Meanwhile, here are some details of the "shirt parts" I used in the quilt. Like cuff buttons:
Quilt top detail: button

I also kept a couple of pockets, although I imagine the quilting will seal them shut at some point. For now, you could hold a pen in one of them (as shown in this very photo):
Quilt top detail: pocket

This last one is subtle (and hard to pick out in this photo), but I like the way it looks. I kept part of the yoke, so you can see shirt stripes going in different directions (it's the rectangle below the yellow rectangle in this photo):
Quilt top detail: yoke

Bill's mom told me that one of the shirts was far more expensive than any of the others and she asked if I could tell which one it was from working with the fabrics. I looked at all of them, thought about my experience cutting and sewing (and wrestling and grumbling) and pointed to the one with blue and pink stripes. She said, "Yep. That's the one!"

Shayne, if you (or anyone else out there) ever decide to make a quilt like this, here is my tip: Use expensive shirts. That fabric was SO much nicer to work with!

love,
kelly

6 comments:

Diane Gilleland said...

This is looking amazing! I love the little button and label details.

You know, I think I'd quilt something like that by stitching in the ditch - or, along the seamlines between each piece. That way your quilting can follow and enhance the overall pattern, which is very visually strong, without creating busy-ness. Just my two cents.

I hope you'll post a photo of this quilted, too!

Castro Valley Farmers Market said...

It looks like such a happy quilt! The subtle details are unique, just like the man who wore the shirts I suppose :) You really, again, need to submit this idea and story to some publications. What a great way to honor a loved one!

Shayne said...

You've done such a great job! I'm sure however you quilt it, it'll be perfect.

Ms. Ganshirt said...

It looks fantastic...especially with all the little "shirt" details you incorporated. Great job!

AJ Bindel said...

Wow! I love this quilt! I'm sorry I don't have any quilting inspiration to give you, as I've never quilted before. But I know that I do love your choice of pattern and fabrics.

bettyninja said...

I love the details that were worked in so far.