Sunday, September 07, 2008

Yay! I made something!

Dear Shayne,

I'm going to blame the heat for melting my brain lately... I have not been crafting much. However, I did manage to make something the other night after the sun went down. Wanna see? Of course you do!

I was inspired by this amazing photo from Flickr friend Little Chrince -- it's her her wedding bouquet. It's fantastic -- I love it!

Through Little Chrince, I found the amazing Etsy seller, Violonjello. (Seriously click on that link to see the lovely things she's making. Look at this beautiful bouquet. Wow.)

I'm almost embarrassed to show you what I have made, after linking to those two amazing artists, but here's my first attempt at a felt flower. I tried not to get too hung up on being perfect -- sometimes that homemade-y look is nice, right?
Go, Browns!

It's Browns colors (first game is today -- go, Browns!) but I'm not sure what will come of it. It's pretty big for a pin (over 3 inches wide) and I think I'd feel self-conscious wearing it in my hair. But I may try it anyway. This was basically a practice flower, so I'm not getting too hung up on what I do with it.

I used some really beautiful 70% wool felt that I have. It feels great -- so much nicer than acrylic "craft" felt. (I know you'd disagree, Miss Wool Allergy!)

The buttons are from my huge button jar -- I love how that orange button fit perfectly into the dimple on the brown button. You can see that better in this photo:
Go, Browns!

The back looks awful (messy, messy stitches) so I definitely have to work on that when I make the next one.

love,
kelly

10 comments:

Shayne said...

I think you did a great job!!!! Are you thinking about doing this for *your* bouquet?

j0zzzz said...

That looks awesome! I totally think you can make a fabulous bouquet of those!

Castro Valley Farmers Market said...

Ohh - so cute! This would make a cute wristlet too! Perhaps you can give a tutorial?

Anonymous said...

Oh, well done! The colours are gorgeous..

kelly said...

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I still think it needs some work, so I'll make another one (or two) (or more!) very soon.

Shayne: yes, I am thinking about including some of these in my bouquet. I really like the bouquet Little Chrince made -- her button flowers are also fantastic!

Housewife: Tutorial? Ha! Does "wing it" count? I just cut some basic felt shapes and used the most basic of embroidery stitches to embellish. It's all held together with thread through the buttons in the middle. If I get more adventurous, I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Johanna: Your compliment means a *lot* to me. Your bouquets are absolutely gorgeous -- thank you again and again for the eye candy and inspiration!

I've been trying to think of other fun "stuff" to include in the bouquet. I'm thinking... knitted roses? Perhaps organza flowers? I like things funky.

Oh yeah... and we *need* little hockey sticks in there. (Still looking for those, though.)

miss violonjello said...

Glad I could make your day! Now I'm posting as MissViolonjello because I *finally* got around to setting up a google/blogger account...

All those ideas sound super fun - at the moment, I'm experimenting with millinery supplies. There are some etsy sellers that make amazing crocheted flowers, or use paper instead of felt. So, let your imagination run wild!

j0zzzz said...

I am now madly in love with the flowers from MissViolonjello that include ribbon:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15053411

And the detail on the leaves is awesome!

kelly said...

Good lord, J0zzz, you're right -- that's amazing!

Also, look at the photo of the back of that thing! Her stitches are absolutely perfect! Oh, I have a lot more practicing to do...

AJ Bindel said...

This is wonderful! I think my favorite part is the little orange button nestled inside the brown button. Cute!

I really love your blog. Check it out!

http://ebscrafts.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-3-your-blog.html

xoxo
Amy

Shayne said...

Tissue paper flowers?