Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oh, yarn

Dear Shayne,

What is the last possible thing I need in this world? Yeah. Probably more yarn. Did that stop me from falling down and buying a bunch at Sock Summit two weekends ago? Of course not. So I might as well share it with you.

First up is a lovely black and white sock yarn. It's the Day of the Dead colorway by Lovesticks. Superwash merino. Probably destined to become fingerless mittens, because I love them so.
Lovesticks merino sock yarn
Wow. I googled that yarn to find her shop and I found these awesome socks that someone made using this colorway. Looove the stripes!

This next one is sooooo soft. Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Sock Yarn in color HS03. It's 50% alpaca, 30% merino, 10% silk, 10% nylon. (And 100% super soft!)
Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Sock yarn

This one doesn't look that great in this photo, but I saw it knit up into a sock and the stripes are great! It's also very squishy (50% superwash merino, 25% bamboo, 25% nylon). It's called Bamboo Sock by Universal Yarn in color 272 (linked to the Yarndex because the Universal Yarn site seems broken).
Universal Yarn Bamboo sock

This next one doesn't look like much, but it feeeeels like a dream. Why? Because it's 100% cashmere. Mmmm, cashmere. It came in a kit with 4 skeins of yarn and 7 sweet scarf patterns. I must admit, the sample totally sold me. I am making the scarf shown in this photo:
Jade Sapphire cashmere scarf kit
You can see it better on the Jade Sapphire website in this photo -- it's the pink one. Love the cables!

And this last one I bought to begin a scarf right at Sock Summit. I actually bought 4 skeins of it. I only needed 3, but with the quantity discount at Webs, I got the 4th skein for nearly free. Whee! It's gorgeous in person and so soft and squishy.

It's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted 100% superwash wool in colorway Bittersweet. It looks like a sunset.
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted
I wound it up into a ball right at the Summit so I could start knitting on it and I think the woman who helped me wind it went and bought some after I left the winding booth. It's irresistable!

I took a class at Sock Summit called "Knitting for Speed and Efficiency." It was fantastic and I will tell you about it another post, but what I have to say now is: with all of this yarn, I had better start knitting faster!

love,
kelly

1 comment:

Shayne said...

Beautiful! Especially the last one. I can't wait to see what you make with them all.