Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Knitting for Speed and Efficiency (the followup)

Dear Shayne,

As I mentioned last month, I took a class in Portland at the Sock Summit with Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (the esteemed [and hilarious] Yarn Harlot). It was called "Knitting for Speed and Efficiency," but since it involved learning an entirely new way to knit, I was actually knitting for Slowness and Desperation.

After spending a month completing my Practice Scarf, I am knitting almost as fast as I was with my previous method.

Now you may be saying, "But you're still not knitting faster than before -- how is it worth it?" Except for this: I am knitting and purling at almost the speed that I was just knitting at before!

I know you're not a knitter, Shayne, so I'll tell you: Usually, when switching from knitting to purling (for instance, in ribbing), one's knitting speed slows down dramatically. I won't get into the details (boring both for knitters and non-knitters alike!) but I am very happy to be knitting and purling at this speed.

If I keep at it, I really will be knitting with Speed and Efficiency. Someday!

Oh, and here's the scarf I finished:
Lever scarf, complete

I struggle with taking an accurate photo of the color of that scarf. Also, scarves are long and prove difficult to photograph in other ways. But you get the idea.

love,
kelly

2 comments:

Simone said...

Dear Kelly, I love your blog. It is so nice to read correspondence. I love your scarf and your thank you notes are precious and I need to pick up that book for the book club. You are doing the book club aren't you? Because Erica's needles are gorgeous and how many people will participate in a giveaway you actually have to work for so chances of getting them aren't bad. And you're actually a knitter so you'll really use them and.and.and. You get my drift. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Sincerely,
Simone

Shayne said...

Love the scarf and glad the whole speed knitting thing is working out for you. You'll be a whiz before you know it :)