Saturday, October 17, 2009

Freezer Paper Stencils

Dear Kelly,

I've always been intrigued by freezer paper stencils, but never tried it because I'm not so good with the X-acto knife. And really, I'm lazy and didn't want to spend so much time cutting out a design that I could only use once. Then I realized I could cut designs with my beloved Cricut. I found a pack of 8 1/2" x 11" freezer paper (yes, I'm also too lazy to cut down my own pieces from a roll) and bought some t-shirts and fabric paint. Jenny came over tonight and we gave it a try to make some shirts for Sam and they came out amazingly well. Sam chose the following images from the Indie Art cartridge:

A bomb:


a guitar:


and a band-aid:


I have no idea why a band-aid is considered Indie or why Sam thought it would make a good shirt, but there it is.

Anyway, the process was really easy:
  1. Cut design out of freezer paper with Cricut
  2. Iron freezer paper on t-shirt
  3. Paint t-shirt
  4. Peel off freezer paper
The paint didn't bleed at all and the freezer paper came right off the shirt. Now I want many, many more t-shirts to stencil. And maybe a few tote bags.

Love,
Shayne

2 comments:

kelly said...

These are FANTASTIC! The Cricut just gets better and better.

(Yes, I'm jealous.)

Jenny said...

Those are fantastic! As for band-aids, what's not to love? They make anything better!